Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/22/d94174674/htdocs/RLR/Forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Twice Upon A Time

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:25:24 PM
42 Posts in 13 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: recycling1r700
Frequency Response - RonLyonsRadio.org  |  General Category  |  Stories from Ron  |  Twice Upon A Time « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twice Upon A Time  (Read 3515 times)
Jm
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

The winds were a hundred miles an hour the day of the evening our daughter, Michele, was killed at the age of 23. The power was out and It was a cold and dark December night when she was run over while crossing the street in 1988.  Apart from the obvious, the hardest thing was not being able to see her and to have sort sort of goodbye. Christmas meant nothing but pain and there was no relief the next Christmas when my mother died and it just brought everything back,

As horrible as it was for me, there is a bond between mother and child that transcends all others. It's the birth, of course, but there is a "hands on" part of parenthood that only mommys know. It also killed something in Lana's being that may take forever to heal but there was a moment of wonder this week.

We scattered Michele's ashes on the ocean and in that always elusive quest for serenity, we ended up living by the ocean and river here in Oregon some 15 years later.

Our son, Sean, and his wife, Terri presented us with a granddaughter 4 years ago. She is a beautiful little girl with golden hair and her name is Elizabeth. Lana has always loved her but there was a certain holding back for fear of losing Michele all over again....something she kept mostly to herself.

As complex as the world appears, there is something totally pure about a 4 year old little girl. They are not yet tarnished by some of the reality that lies ahead and most of what they see every day is motivated by imagination and trust which will never be quite the same again.

We also had some very old and good friends drop by and when they saw Elizabeth, they remarked how much she looked like Michele as the midday sun captured all the yellow/gold highlights in her hair.

Yesterday was Lana's birthday and last night, we all sat around as she opened her presents. For the last 25 years, I have recorded a little something to reflect each birthday and this year, I had Elizabeth help me. After she sang "Happy Birthday", I asked her a few questions about Nana Lana. I had a music box playing as Elizabeth answered the question: "Tell me more about "Nana Lana"!

Like from a fairy tale, her answer was: "She's good....and.....she's brave".

Lana and Elizabeth happened to be sitting side by side as the CD goes into a song called "River Of Dreans" which is about our being able to live where we do.

Elizabeth reaches up and puts her arm around Lana's neck and as she pulls her to the floor says: "Happy Birthday, Nana Lana...I love you". This was not a child's pre-programmed response to an event. It came from Somewhere Else and it was so powerful, I think we all forgot to breathe. They stayed that way for most of the song until it turned into a tickling game.

It was watching something being freed and a door being opened. I am sure a part of her heart was full again from a little girl's wonderfully innocent and untainted love.

I won't forget those terrible days of 1988.....but I will also never forget my wife's birthday in 2005.

And i know she won't.

Thank you.
Ron Lyons
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:12:27 PM by Jm » Logged
larry larry

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »

One of my favorite stories of his.  And he still lives on.  thanks JM.

LL
Pages: [1]
Frequency Response - RonLyonsRadio.org  |  General Category  |  Stories from Ron  |  Twice Upon A Time « previous next »
    Jump to: